Tuesday 8 June 2010

Warming up for the Lymphoma Annual Bike Ride!!!



So . . . . challenge number 5 is rapidly approaching and the weather forecast is starting to look like it might be half decent on Saturday and Sunday.

When I signed up for Lymphoma Association Annual Bike the original intention was that the ride would go Coast to Coast, in the end the Lymphoma Association have had to change the route from the last few years to go from York to Derby - two of the UK's most haunted cities. Along with other supporters i will be riding approximately 126 miles over the two days, stopping over for the night in Rotherham. The route follows much of the Sustrans routes No's 6 & 62 so will be mostly off main roads and will take in some lovely countryside through the Earth Centre, Sherwood Forest, Newstead Abbey and Clumber Park. In many ways this will be a nice trip down memory lane for me as we pass through many of our favourite spots to walk and cycle when we lived in Notts. The finish line is at Pride Park, a spitting distance from my old offices in Derby so i think will very much fit into the 'Life Affirming' category. (I wasn't particularly happy in that job) ;o)

I'm really looking forward to this challenge for a number of reasons. It's not strictly a race so we can enjoy the scenery and i'm really looking forward to sharing stories with the other riders as, to date, i've not met many other people who's lives have been affected by Lymphoma. Also, somebody else is taking all the strain in terms of planning this event so all i have to do is find my way to the hotel - er ... taxi!

I'll post more next week giving a full account of my experience but in the meantime please wish me good weather and no punctures!

No comments:

Post a Comment